Office 365 has become the defacto standard in today’s world and understandably so – email with no on-prem data footprint and no on-prem problems. And since O365 runs in the cloud data must be protected by Microsoft, right?
While Microsoft Takes Every Measure to Ensure Office 365 Availability…
It’s designed to meet their own application requirements, not end users. For example, Microsoft patches, backs up, and monitors the core infrastructure to ensure that they are not the cause of data loss. But, it’s not their responsibility to back up or restore end user data that resides in Office 365.
In other words, Microsoft is very good at avoiding their own errors, but they can’t protect you from YOU.
Commons User Cases Where Office 365 Native Protection Falls Short
1) User Errors: It could be that one of your team members hit the wrong button and erased an important piece of data from Outlook, or you deleted a calendar event after a project just ended when you were certain it is no longer needed, which turned out to be vital later on.
2) Data Deletion from a Rogue Employee: An employee may not leave on good terms and want to things difficult for everyone in your organization. Unless you are protecting the data, consider it gone.
3) Ransomware or Malware Attacks: Ransomware or malware begins when someone clicks on a link or attachment in a phishing email and it can suddenly spread through your entire organization. While antivirus software can help protect your systems from malware, there is little they can do to prevent Ransomware in Office 365.
4) System or Sync Errors: Maybe you’re using a third-party solution in conjunction with your Office 365. Unfortunately, sometimes the third-party solution is configured incorrectly and, as a result, your Office 365 data can be misplaced or overwritten, leading to wrong or missing data.
If you want your Office 365 data (email, contact, and calendar items) to:
- Be safe from user errors
- Be able to recover from system or sync errors
- Protect against internal threats like disgruntled employees and external threats like Ransomware or Malware
- Have longer retention than 30-days
Try a cloud-to-cloud Office 365 backup solution from OffsiteDataSync. (30-day free trial)
Email email@example.com or use the “Live Chat” box on the web page to get started.